Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Post Card Art, Acrylic Painting

It's 65 and sunny here!
I work on art in the afternoon. Here are some things I am working on.
I didn't bring very many supplies with me on this trip so I am limited to one black ink pad, scissors, double sided tape, a few stamps, watercolor paper and my trimmer. I decided I wanted to send some handmade postcards to my family so I stopped by the hardware store and picked up some paint chip cards. I know this is not a new idea but I love to do this so I am doing it again. This time I wanted to do something modern.
1) First I cut my watercolor paper into 4"X6" post cards.
2) I cut off as much of the print as I could on the paint chip cards and saved the leftover cuttings.
3) Next I stamped two post cards with a stamp I brought with me. It has a lot of faces and other things on it in 1" sizes.
4) I cut the stamped out images to fit behind the precut squares in the paint chip cards.
5) I attached the pieces with double sided tape.
6) I cut out a word that related to my trip from a travel newspaper and taped it on.
7) I edged the post card with black Stays On ink. In hindsight, I would have  edged all the items with black and added a charm or a twig from outside.

I moved the images and papers around to balance the card and used the Paris part of the stamp to break up the squareness and it needed even more so I put the frame around the Paris stamping.

I'm struggling with transitioning from using oil paint to using acrylics. Ugh! I grew up taking oil painting lessons and painting with my Mom from the age of eight but these acrylics drive me crazy! They dry so fast and I get so involved in the painting I forget to spray the paint a lot or it turns into plastic. I'll get through it but it is a struggle! I hope you like my Indian. He's not done yet but I thought I would put him up so you all knew I was "working"!

I'm working on some zentangles I will post soon. I call them my Eternity People.

No comments:

Post a Comment