Friday, October 16, 2009

Scrapbook Tips Who What Where When Why How

I've been working on several art projects today. One of the projects is, of course, a scrapbook page! I decided I would share a tip that I use every time I think I am done with my page. I use the old journalism tip about making sure you have who, what, where, when, why, and how. You need to look at your page and make sure you have all of these items on your page somewhere.
Who should have the full name. I know it seems redundant but what if this book ends up somewhere fifty years from now in a household that doesn't remember that person and there is just the one page. Don't you want them to know who it is? I do.
What happened in the photo. If you don't tell what was going on people can construct in their minds all kinds of things that did or didn't happen!
Where the photo was taken is very important. In the living room? In what city? What state?On Grandma's old rug? These kinds of details spark old memories. It gives people a feeling of pleasure when the memory is sparked. Many times the mention of a place will start a whole new set of memories and great conversations!
When is, well, you just have to let people know when it was. I can't stand it when people get studio photos and in the dead of winter choose a spring setting. You know what I mean?
Why are you taking the picture? Does Teddy look cute and very surprised when he opens gifts? Did he say a funny comment?
How did the memory come to be? Try to make sure you say something that will trigger a memory. Tell what was happening just before the photo was taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment